11.17.2015

Seeds








On the same day I randomly chose from the library shelf Matsuo Basho's The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches, I also randomly chose Sherman Alexie's First Indian On the Moon.  In both these books, the writers present pieces that are written in prose and poetry.  I feel that I have never seen this done before.  Certainly there are examples of poetry books with prose pieces in them and vise versa.  But both Alexie and Basho intermix them into the same piece.

Could it be true that I've never seen this done and then happen to pull from the library shelf on the same day rare examples of both?  Or are there many examples of this everywhere and I've just forgotten, or ignored it, blocking out a thing I did not fully comprehend?





like a word that you've never heard 
until you learn its meaning 
and suddenly everyone is saying it


like a thing that seems so new
but turns out to be
so ancient








No comments:

Post a Comment